The NFL and the WFA

With a league that has millions of female fans and claims to be an inclusive league to all, the NFL should support and possibly televise and sponsor this all-women’s league.

The WFA logo

The WFA logo

Maddox Greenberg, Staff Writer

Ever since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, the NFL has beaten the MLB and the NBA as Americans’ favorite sport.  Soon enough, quoting from the movie Concussion, the NFL is: “a corporation that has 20 million people on a weekly basis craving their product the same way they crave food.  The NFL owns a day of the week, the same day the Church used to own.  Now it’s [the NFL’s].”  The NFL has given millions and millions of dollars back to the community.  The NFL gives money to charities such as the American Heart Association, Wounded Warrior Project, Crucial Catch, Play 60, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, etc. on top of etc. on top of etc.  The NFL has done deals with Pepsi, Oakley, and Fanatics.  This company is a juggernaut by itself.  Millions of viewers pile around their TVs, phones, laptops, radios, and so on and in bars and restaurants and in their own living rooms to watch and listen to games all day on CBS, FOX, NBC, and ESPN.

But one league that is in the shadow of the NFL that should be the NFL’s partner is the Women’s Football Association.

Yes, you heard me right! Women’s football. You may not have heard of the league, so let me tell you what it is: the WFA, created in 2009, is the largest 11-on-11 tackle football league for women.  The WFA has international leagues in Egypt (EFAF) and Poland, Costa Rica (GWFL) and the Netherlands (Queens Football League), and Columbia (FECOFA) and Ecuador (CEFA).  The WFA has three divisions of football and a total of 47 teams.  Local teams in Florida are Tampa Bay Inferno and Jacksonville Dixie Blues.

I know; I am shocked to learn this, too.

However, the league is only televised on YouTube, Roku, Twitch, and XBOX on the channel ‘For the Fans’.  It’s also televised on live TV on U-verse’s channel 1665, Fios’ channel 597, and DirecTV’s channel 623, if you have Next Level Sports.  The league also plays on what looks to be high school and Division III college stadiums.  Championship games are broadcast on ESPN 3, Root Sports, Eleven Sports, and Comcast.

It is sad to see a league like this not be noticed by the same fans of the NFL.  But this league has had lots of former players now in the NFL, such as Katie Sowers (former 49ers offensive assistant, now on the Chiefs), Callie Brownson (Browns chief-of-staff) and Jennifer King (WFT’s assistant running backs coach), just to name a few.

This isn’t like the LFL (Legends Football League), known for wearing provocative uniforms in front of beer-guzzling men in an arena.  The WFA has more respect, but both started in 2009.

I think a league like the NFL, who has so many devoted female fans, should have a league like the WFA be televised to inspire all of the little girls and the next generation.

The NFL and WFA should do a partnership where the NFL could help the WFA with televised games on a global scale, sports merchandise, and have respectable pay (since the typical WFA player makes $2,000 a season, per color-newyork.com).  NBA players support and promote WNBA players and the league.  NBA players wear WNBA gear and players’ jerseys in pregame arrival to the arenas.  They also go to the games when their team isn’t playing.  I’m sure the NFL players would do the same for the WFA players.

So NFL, strike a deal with the WFA. Pack the stands for the football games.  Get the league noticed.  The NFL does have a little thing at the NFL Hall of Fame Museum in Canton, Ohio (home of the first ever NFL team back in the 1920s) talking about the Boston Renegades women’s team championship run and Allison Cahill’s star-studded performance.  But that is not enough.  Inspire the next football generation of young girls and women to see people who look just like them getting to play professional.  Maybe this could lead to colleges and high schools across America to allow women’s tackle football.  Who agrees with me?

WFA website for more:  https://wfaprofootball.com/

WFA International leagues page:  https://wfaprofootball.com/wfa-international/