New Weight Room

Jordan Patton, Stafff Writer

East lake High School is getting a chance to re-do the inside and outside weight rooms. One of the coaches, Coach Darius Holtzclaw, was able to give us some information about what to expect with all of the changes and when to expect it:
● WHAT IS GOING TO BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE NEW WEIGHT ROOM AND THE OLD ONE?
– “The equipment in the inside weight room is going to be like the new equipment we are getting, it’s just going to be newer versions with more lifting stations.”
● WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE EQUIPMENT THAT IS ALREADY IN THE INSIDE WEIGHT ROOM?
– “The equipment in the inside weight room will be moved into the outside weight room, replacing equipment that has been here since the school opened in ’87.We plan on donating all that equipment to a charity to help other schools in need of weight room equipment.”

● HOW WILL THE NEW WEIGHT ROOM BENEFIT THE STUDENTS?
– “It’s going to give us more stations to work out at in the inside weight room and outside weight room, allowing the students to work even more parts of the body than before.”
● WHAT IS GOING TO BE DONE IN THE INSIDE WEIGHT ROOM?
– “They are going to put a rubber flooring down in East Lake colors, instead of the hard concrete we have now. The entire weight room will be repainted in black, blue, and white paint. The new racks, weights, and bars will all have East Lake logos on them.”
● WHEN ARE YOU EXPECTING THE WEIGHT ROOM TO BE COMPLETED?
– “The due date was supposed to be Feburary 1st but due to red tape in the county, it’s not even going before the school board till middle of March. Hopefully it will be done by spring practice for football which is May 1st because if it’s not done by then, there could be another installation problem due to the entire school and gym roof being replaced in the summer.”
The new weight room is going to be very useful for most of East Lake High students, mainly the athletes. The coaches can’t wait for everything to be completed but they worry it won’t be done in time for the spring season sports. The new weight room is going to add a lot to our school gym.