AP exams are on their way

Erin Wronka, Entertainment Editor

At the beginning of the school year, starting new AP courses is actually a pretty scary thing. Not knowing what to expect from the teacher, or how hard the curriculum is going to be is a major source of worry for students. As the year gets into full swing, information is packed into our brains, but at least we know how things work in our AP classes. Having the routine down eases teenagers’ struggles with school and we find ourselves in a nice pattern for a bulk of the school year. Of course, it can’t be that way forever as May is rolling our way. Those AP exams are here in about a month and students are now settling down to review all the new and complex subjects we’ve retained this year. No longer will there be new notes every day or an introduction to fresh material as the exams creep up on us. With this is mind, there are a few things that are helpful to remember as we buckle down for those tricky tests.

One thing that’s absolutely necessary is to keep up with whatever review materials you’re given from the teacher or even just suggested to you by them. I’m supposed to live with my AP U.S. History review book for the next few weeks and it’s not even a question if I should actually do it. Countless AP courses, including U.S. History and Micro/Macro Economics, have some kind of review book that are extremely helpful in passing the exams.

Many teachers are also offering after school help to study the class materials. Take advantage of this generous suggestion and go. AP Language and Composition teacher Asimina Mobley is offering her students the chance to take a real exam and see where they place on it. You may end up learning the one thing that will be your success on the test.

The most important, yet obvious way to have a great go on your AP exams is to not blow them off. I remember taking my AP World History exam and being so burned out from all the curriculum that it took a ton of effort just to crack open my notes. I admit that I could have been a lot more motivated and would have upped my score if I put a little more effort into studying, so this year I’m not making that mistake again. Start getting out now what you’ve learned in your AP courses and begin reviewing as soon as possible. You’ll be thanking yourself when you end up with that college credit.