Summer jobs

Jordan Patton, Staff Writer

After several years of a summer hiring slump, there’s good news for teenagers looking for summer jobs.

According to a new survey, more than half of hiring managers plan to hire seasonal employees. They’re seasonal jobs, but they might turn into more. “You spend all day kind of looking for a job, and it’s not that you’re not qualified, and it’s not that people aren’t willing to hire, it’s just that the work was not there, most of the time,” said senior Vinny Mannello. That’s changing. Fifty-five percent of hiring managers interviewed said they will hire seasonal workers this summer, according to a survey. It also stated that many plan to pay 7 percent more than last summer.

On the other hand, economists and labor forecasts said teens and college students may have a tougher time landing summer jobs this year. Retailers are scaling back on hiring due to sluggish sales, and older experienced workers are getting jobs generally reserved for younger people. “A lot of my friends have been saying it’s hard to find a summer job. One of my friends filled out 20 applications and got no calls back,” said junior Pat Millen. One study said a little more than one-third of 16 to 19 year olds will be employed this summer, which is the smallest share since the government began keeping records in 1948.

Unemployment is still hovering in double digits. People involved with job training say youngsters may find themselves up against a lot more experienced workers for those same summer jobs this year. This year more than any other, the younger workforce is now competing with older, more experienced adults. That’s because of all the competition places can be a lot more selective on who they hire.

Even in the best of times, teenagers face plenty of hurdles when they look for summer jobs. Would-be employers often worry that they’ll be undependable, late, and generally flaky. Teens must convince prospective posses that they’re actually reliable and responsible. Does this mean that teens should abandon all hope of finding employment this summer? Not at all! The following tips can help.

1)    Start looking now. Employers are already thinking about their upcoming summer staffing issues. One way to beat out most f the competition is to start your job search early.

2)    Get the word out about your job search. Begin telling people that you’re looking for a job. Your teachers, coaches, family, or friends could turn you on to job prospects.

3)    Plan for a repeat performance. A survey of 1,000 hiring managers revealed that 65 percent of their summer staff will be returning workers.

Finding a summer job doesn’t have to be all that hard. You just have to know the right way to look.