Back to school expectations vs. reality

The+plethora+of+clothing+in+this+Forver+21+store+seems+organized+and+appealing%2C+but+the+large+variety+causes+for+difficult+decision+making+while+shopping+during+the+back+to+school+season.++

graduationdressed.blogspot.com

The plethora of clothing in this Forver 21 store seems organized and appealing, but the large variety causes for difficult decision making while shopping during the back to school season.

Cristina Himelhoch, Staff Writer

The Truth Behind What it is Really Like to go Back to School

Every student dreads seeing the back to school commercials advertising for the preparation of school while they are just trying to relax and enjoy their last few weeks of summer. Summers are notorious for flying by in the blink of an eye. One moment you are rejoicing in the freedom of finishing that last final exam and the next moment you are silently crying because you realize the first day of school is right around the corner. With the start of a new school year, many people have skewed views of how school will unfold.

The first thing that always happens before the school year begins is shopping. Guys might not be as excited for this, but as a girl, I know that our gender tends to over shop. The general expectation is that you will find the perfect outfit that showcases your personality and beauty. But, it is definitely not as easy as it sounds. Most of the time, it’s more of a hectic frenzy to try to match all of the clothes you bought, until you realize that you bought about twenty tank tops but nothing to match them with. “I was beginning to get frustrated because I couldn’t find any shirts in stores so I had to resort to shopping online. It is easier for me to envision outfits online rather than in stores, “ said senior Lauren Wonicker-Cook. Planning an outfit takes a lot more time than most people may think. It can take hours upon hours to find the perfect outfit to impress people on the first day of school with. Along with this search of an outfit to look “cute” on the first day, there is, of course, the hope and expectation that all of a sudden a new transfer student that looks like Zac Efron or Channing Tatum will walk through the halls the first day of school. But, no matter how hard we girls pray for it, that one wish just never seems to become a reality.

Once school starts, the temptation to procrastinate starts creeping in all over again just like last year. But that will not happen this time; at least not until the second week of school. The expectation of being an organized and productive student only seems to last about a week or two if you are lucky. As a senior at East Lake High School, Miranda Sullivan states, “I didn’t make it very far. I started procrastinating the first day of school since I didn’t even know where my locker was and hadn’t even purchased a senior spot. All I had was paper and a pencil.” Other students also face the same struggles as Miranda such as fellow senior Keri Vollenwider, who states, “It is the sixth day of school and I still don’t have my school supplies.” It seems to be the same situation for dressing up for school and attempting to look nice. By the third week of school, girls are wearing yoga pants and messy buns while guys can’t even attempt to match their clothes. And by the middle to end of the school year (especially for seniors), motivation to even get out of bed in the morning diminishes to a point of no return.