The Eagles prepare for revenge upon PHU.

elhsfootballtwitter

elhsfootballtwitter

elhsfootballtwitter

Jennifer Lima, Staff Writer

The football game of the year is already amongst us. This Friday night at 7:30 PM in Eagle territory our football team takes on rivaled PHU. Our rivalry with PHU has steadily increased over the past few years as they became a closer match for us than longtime adversary, Tarpon.  Last year for the first time in nine years PHU caught us off guard and took home the W, winning 14-10 in the last few minutes of the game. That game is now in the past and Eagle football is more determined than ever to redeem themselves and make their school proud.

However, many times it is not so much the football teams that are fighting for victory; it is their student sections. Blue Crue vs. The Rowdies. Who can be louder? Who has the most school spirit? Who will come out on top? This is the game that will decide the fate of our school for the next year, giving the winning school an open chance to gloat in the other’s face. Students have already taken the heat to Twitter, seeing who can come up with the cleverest insults and comebacks. If you are looking to make a name for yourself at East Lake High School, here is your chance to do it. In this day and age students are not remembered by their smarts or their wardrobes; instead, they are remembered by their social media accounts. Those who are granted a seat in the front of Blue Crue are those who fight back for our school. It takes going to great lengths, even changing your Twitter name to something as vulgar as “PHU supports Hillary.” When asked about his opinion on the Twitter war, East Lake football player Will Gollner simply said, “It’s good banter.” He couldn’t have summed it up better. Not only does it make a mark for our school, but it entertains the rest of Pinellas County. Being a Blue Crue member is a rigorous role to take on. You have to not only be willing to stand up on social media–it is easy to hide behind a screen–but willing to lose your voice and jump through the cheers even when your legs are about to give out. Here at East Lake football games are not taken lightly.

School rivalries are not merely “for fun” anymore; they might as well be a sport themselves. Friends will turn against friends during this week and it will only get worse as we get closer to the kickoff Friday night. As East Lake student Aidan Burns said, “All the beef this week just adds to the hype.” East Lake High School is more united than ever during PHU rivalry week, especially this year. School spirit is what brings us together as a school and gives us something to all come together to be passionate about. Throwing baby powder in the air and painting each other’s bodies blue can really bring people together. Don’t underestimate the power of our student body or our football team, as Friday night is just the beginning.

• Battle of the bragging rights

Will Wyatt Harris pull off the unthinkable?

• Battle of the bragging rights

Save the Date

• Battle of the bragging rights

It’s Cuffing Season

• Battle of the bragging rights

Don’t Try This at Home

• Battle of the bragging rights

Queen of Rock

• Battle of the bragging rights

VS Fashion Show: A Men’s Rights Issue

• Battle of the bragging rights

Come See All My Sons!

• Battle of the bragging rights

Bring back the mullet, or die trying

• Battle of the bragging rights

• Battle of the bragging rights