The benefits of dual enrollment

Photo provided by Google Images

Charlee Dunn, Staff Writer

As a high school student, you might have heard of dual enrollment. The program consists of taking college level classes outside of high school for both high school and college credit with a passing grade. Throughout my high school career I have noticed that the dual enrollment program is often overlooked by students, which is very disappointing because so many benefits come with doing it!

Between honors societies, clubs, sports, field trips, paraphernalia- the list goes on!- the cost of your four years in high school are guaranteed to add up. Senior year alone is breaking my bank. The worst part about it all is that the cycle doesn’t stop once you get to college. The tuition and book payments alone are enough to really set you back. Why not save some of that money by knocking required entry level classes out of the way? Personally, I’m currently taking speech at SPC. It’s an easy A type of class and one that I would not want to waste my time and money on once I get to college.

Another plus about taking dual enrollment classes is the fact that they cushion your college GPA. The transition from high school to college is extreme and anyone going through that change will struggle in some way. A common place we see that struggle is grades. By taking classes at SPC, you can start out at whatever college you decide to go to already having a stellar GPA. This means that if you mess up a little in your first semester, it won’t hit as hard.

With college level classes comes much more variety. There are so many classes to choose from through the dual enrollment program and the professors are enthusiastic about them. The college attitude is different. Professors assume that since college is not required, anyone there must genuinely want to learn. This opens up the classroom to be more than a place where a teacher lectures about something that no one is really into (including them). Instead, the energy in the classroom is full of curiosity and excitement.

Teachers might tell you that AP classes look better but the truth is there is no backing behind that. Spend your years enjoying flexibility in your schedule, enthusiasm in your classrooms, and people from all walks of life.

• The benefits of dual enrollment

• The benefits of dual enrollment

• The benefits of dual enrollment

• The benefits of dual enrollment

• The benefits of dual enrollment

• The benefits of dual enrollment

• The benefits of dual enrollment

• The benefits of dual enrollment

• The benefits of dual enrollment

Good morning, Feast Lake

• The benefits of dual enrollment

Opinions

Philosophical web story by Michael Del Duca

The benefits of dual enrollment