A charitable weekend

East Lake gives to charity

Photo provided by Google Images

Stony Hooker, Staff Writer

On the weekend of March 3rd and 4th, East Lake High School held two charitable events, Relay for Life and a 5K for Sepsis Awareness. Both events went off without a hitch and raised large sums of money for the American Cancer Society and the Sepsis Alliance.

Relay for Life had its setbacks in the months prior to the event; due to the early start to the school year, Relay had to be moved back as well to not interfere with end of the year testing. The earlier date led to less money being raised and fewer teams participating. However, for the first time in several years, Blue Crue sponsored a Relay team. The Blue Crue tent was ESPN themed and had a 100-foot-long inflatable obstacle course. Along with the inflatable, Blue Crue Vice President and Blue Crue Treasurer Josh Cilmi and Stony Hooker came armed with sportscoats and microphones to commentate on the thrilling action going on across the entire event. Other exciting attractions of the night included therapy sessions with Dr. Phil, Lil’ Sebastian from Parks and Rec, Wilbur from Charlotte’s Web, motorcycle rides with Mr. Kay, a dunk tank, dodge ball, henna tattoos, and throwing pie into teachers faces.

Mrs. Barbieri very graciously accepted to have pie thrown into her face when I, Stony Hooker, promised to donate $100 to the event. Many people attended the pie throwing, especially AP Lit students who were still recovering from a particularly hard essay given to them by Mrs. Barbieri. Videos of the pie throwing were quickly posted to social media.

The Sepsis 5K was also an extreme success. Sponsored by NEHS, NSHS, NHS, ΜΑΘ, SGA, and Blue Crue the event started at 6:00 A.M. for some volunteers. By the time the race came around tents, music, tables, food, drinks, t-shirts, and water stations were prepared for the runners.

The race began by the shotput cage and winded its way to the back of the football practice field, behind the baseball and softball field, through the teacher parking lot and bus circle, through the school, around the student parking lot, and finally around the track. Many members of the track team finished the race at a “slow pace” of 23:00 minutes, while some runners such as Blue Crue Officers Bobby Johnson and Stony Hooker finished the event with a respectable time of 43:00 minutes.

In a world where so many things happen that put you down, it is refreshing to see young people such as the students of East Lake come together and do things for the betterment of humanity and the lives of many who suffer.

• A charitable weekend

• A charitable weekend

• A charitable weekend

• A charitable weekend

• A charitable weekend

• A charitable weekend

• A charitable weekend

• A charitable weekend

• A charitable weekend

Good morning, Feast Lake

• A charitable weekend

Opinions

Philosophical web story by Michael Del Duca

A charitable weekend