Technology problem

Photo provided by Google Images

Photo provided by Google Images

Jenna Caputo, Staff Writer

In a day and age consumed by technology, it is inevitable that this will affect students in school. Whether the student lets it be positive or negative, though, is up to them.  I, myself, am a victim of letting social media and technology play a negative role on my education. Social media gets to be very consuming when you let it. Instead of studying or let’s say writing a newspaper article, I find myself watching one YouTube video after another. I once read an article saying the key to not procrastinating as a student is to delete your social media apps. I set out to discover if there’s any truth behind this remark and documented my results.

Day 1) It’s not too bad. I have the urge to check Instagram and Snapchat but have resisted. I definitely have gotten a lot more work done. I wrote a newspaper article (on time), studied for the SAT, and did marine assignments.

Day 2) Going strong, it actually feels kinda nice taking a break from social media.

Day 3) This has been my most productive day so far. Sundays can be kinda nice when you choose to not lay in bed all day on your phone. So far I’ve folded two baskets of laundry, gone to church, studied for my government test, and cleaned my room.

Day 4) I caved and looked at Snapchat. It was just a peak, but I’m disappointed in myself.

Day 5) Went very smoothly, didn’t even really think of checking any of my social media.

Day 6) I’m almost there and I’m starting to not even feel the need to use social media.

Day 7) I made it!! Well, for the most part. Only really thought of using social media when I was bored and not occupied.

This break from social media was very much needed. It truly made me realize just how much time of my life I waste looking at other people’s lives. If I spent the amount of time and energy in other areas of my life that I did all these years checking social media, I could’ve gotten a lot more done. This break from technology wasn’t only just good for my grades but also for my overall well being. As a society, especially my generation, we get so caught up in looking at the fortunes of others that it begins to affect our self-esteem and mindset. Taking this break from social media was such a nice way to get back into my own mind and focus on myself. I would recommend it to everyone.

• Technology problem

• Technology problem

• Technology problem

• Technology problem

• Technology problem

• Technology problem

• Technology problem

• Technology problem

• Technology problem

• Technology problem

Technology problem