Book recommendations

Photo provided by Google Images

Charlee Dunn, Staff Writer

In ninth grade, my English teacher made everyone in my class pick one book and read it. It could be any genre we chose; she didn’t even require that it be totally school appropriate. She just wanted us to pick something that interested us, something that could possibly inspire us to dive into the reading world. I can’t speak for everyone in my class but it definitely worked for me. I chose Looking for Alaska by John Green and I became obsessed with reading ever since! There have for sure been some misses in my library but you don’t have to make the same mistakes I did because I’m here to recommend books that you’re sure to enjoy.

If you’re anything like me, you’re into darker stories with lots of emotion and twists. I have multiple books to offer up to satisfy those aspects. First, Forgive Me Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick. Now, this book is not for everyone as it does deal with some deep stuff but the story is so unique and told so well that I think it could appeal to a lot of people. A high schooler named Leonard Peacock plans on taking his own life on his 18th birthday. However, before he can do this, he decided that he needs to deliver some final gifts and thoughts to the people in his life that have impacted him. The book will have you up all night trying to get to the end. Next up would be Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. This is definitely aimed more towards a female audience. It’s about a girl who dies in a car accident but is forced to relive her last day until she finally gets things right and can leave the world peacefully. What I loved about this book is that it was very relatable and not cheesy like I would think a book like this would be. The last book that’s earned a spot on this list is The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco. This book is not so much deep as it is scary but there is still a lot of emotion in it and it is overall pretty dark. In the story, a young boy who’s possessed discovers another spirit that can help him conquer his demons, but he must figure out how to do that without taking his own life too. This leads him down a path discovering the history of his family and a lot of Japanese history in general. It’s a story that will have you checking over your shoulder but at the same time rooting for the main character to win his battle.

I have come to genuinely believe that reading a book will always be better than watching the show/movie because when reading, your imagination gets to run wild. It’s so easy to get caught up in a story and not even realize time passing around you. Definitely give some of these books a try!

• Book recommendations

• Book recommendations

• Book recommendations

• Book recommendations

• Book recommendations

• Book recommendations

• Book recommendations

• Book recommendations

• Book recommendations

• Book recommendations

Book recommendations