ELHS tennis 2017

Will Hasell, Entertainment/Editorials Editor

East Lake High school has made a big splash in the tennis world in the past years. In their 2016 season, the ELHS boys and girls had made it to the state championship tournament. This year was no different with another successful tennis season for the boys and girls teams.

Although losing many seniors last year, the boys or “men’s tennis” team got two clutch additions to their line-up. Benny Glezer, a very talented junior from Wisconsin, became the team’s number one. Carter Reid, a rising sophomore, shows great potential as he worked his way up to the number four position. Freshman Kendall Curtis became a valuable addition to the girl’s team this year by dominating in the number 3 position this year.

The regular season was a grind for both teams. However, both managed to

have successful records. The boys team managed to only lose two close matches to Osceola, who had a stacked lineup of talented seniors. The girls team only lost three matches to Seminole, Largo, and Osceola. Sophomore Sarah Klug states, “We had a great regular season with a lot of clutch wins.”

The post season was kicked off with the Pinellas County Athletic Conference (PCAC). The boys barely lost to Osceola with the score of 4-3. Districts soon began in Wesley Chapel. Over a span of three days, the top teams in the district battled it out through individual point brackets. The East Lake boys showed their dominance with a clean sweep, bringing home the District Championship Title. The girls team pulled 2nd place, allowing them to move on to regional semifinals with the boys. Geetha Velusamy moved on individually to states and with Sarah Klug in doubles. Both the girls and boys won their regional semifinal match with a 4-0 sweep to set up a chance to go to the state championships. In the regional finals, the East Lake boys clinched a 4-1 victory over Land o’ Lakes High School. The girls suffered a close defeat to Gainesville with a score of 3-4, going down to the last doubles matches.

At the state championship tournament, skilled players from all over Florida gathered to fight for the 3A championship title. In the first round, the Eagles were set to play Niceville high school. This proved to be a difficult battle for East Lake. The Eagles ended their season with a well-fought 4-0 loss against Niceville, a team that had beaten last year’s champions. Geetha Velusamy lost a tough match against April Withaker in the individual singles 2-6 4-6. The dynamic doubles pair of Velusamy and Klug had a deep semifinal run that was ended with a close loss with a third set tiebreak.

Overall, the East Lake boys and girls tennis team had another phenomenal season and are growing every year. “Next year, we’re going for the state title,” says junior Brayton Vanhorenbak.

• ELHS tennis 2017

• ELHS tennis 2017

• ELHS tennis 2017

• ELHS tennis 2017

• ELHS tennis 2017

• ELHS tennis 2017

• ELHS tennis 2017

• ELHS tennis 2017

• ELHS tennis 2017

• ELHS tennis 2017

ELHS tennis 2017