Is FLVS worth it?

Florida Virtual School: its pros and cons.

Photo provided by TheHuffingtonPost.com

Photo provided by TheHuffingtonPost.com

Jennifer Lima, Staff Writer

Although one FLVS class is required in high school to graduate, many students opt to take more than required for the sake of sleeping in or going home early. However, many students contest that it is difficult to stay on pace and work on assignments regularly. So, is the extra hour of sleep or free time really worth the extra trouble?

Junior Luke Siegel has an online class first period and said, “You wouldn’t think it would do a lot, but that extra hour of sleep really has made me feel more awake and ready for school.” In high school many students, especially from schools that start at the ungodly hour of 7:05, are sleep deprived and can use as much shut eye as they can get. Although some people with an FLVS course don’t have the luxury of sleeping in, they get the benefit of leaving school early. This also makes the day feel significantly shorter, even though it is just one hour. “You just have to make it to lunch and by then your day feels almost over. Beating the chaotic traffic leaving school is also a plus,” said Matt Wyers, who has an online seventh period class.

The downside to an FLVS class is the fact that you have to force yourself to actually work on it at home. Many people lack the self-discipline to work on an entire course by themselves. Although you have an online instructor, you are not in contact with them every day and don’t have as rigid due dates. It is very easy to become behind in assignments by procrastinating, causing you to cram the nights leading up to the end of the semester. Senior Grace Difelice said, “It is hard to make yourself do it at times, but overall I say the pros definitely outweigh the cons.” It takes a certain type of person to be able to handle this type of learning; if your teacher is constantly at your throat to turn in assignments, an FLVS class may not be the smartest option.

Online classes have their benefits and challenges; it comes down to what type of learner a person is as to whether taking them is worth it. Some take multiple, others take one, and some students would rather be in class where they have a structured learning environment and teacher always available.

• Is FLVS worth it?

• Is FLVS worth it?

• Is FLVS worth it?

• Is FLVS worth it?

• Is FLVS worth it?

• Is FLVS worth it?

• Is FLVS worth it?

• Is FLVS worth it?

• Is FLVS worth it?

• Is FLVS worth it?

Is FLVS worth it?