Senior class legacy

A look back on what the class of ’17 accomplished throughout its four years here at ELHS

The Class of '17 has made its mark on East Lake.

Kevin Costello, Staff Writer

Coming into our freshman year back in 2013, we young Eagles knew that big things were about to happen. As if the transition from middle school to high school wasn’t monumental enough, we had expectations and shoes to fill starting on day one. We had many sports teams that looked as if they were on the verge of contending for state championships. Also, ELHS had just earned its 3rd “A” rating in a row. So, of course, we had to try to keep the streak going. Now almost four years later, we can all look back and say that we did a lot together to improve on what was already a great school.

Athletics: Like I previously said, we came into ELHS in the middle of a great period for sports. During our freshman and sophomore years, our football team, which had some members of the 2017 class on it, went all the way to the state semifinals. Our girls swim team even won states back in 2014 (thanks again to some help from our graduating class!) Even though we may not have gotten any state championships since then, our entire athletic program has been spot on the last few years thanks to valiant efforts by many seniors. A quick shout out to track stars Rohan Kohli and Matt Wyers for breaking the school record for fastest 4X8 this past season!

Academics: Like our athletics, East Lake’s academics have always been stellar, but we managed to improve nonetheless. Since our class entered the school, AP score averages in almost every AP subject have increased. A whopping 95% of this year’s seniors who took AP Calculus last year passed the exam. That is the highest percentage we have ever had at our school. Thanks Loftus!  This year’s robotics team made it to nationals, so congrats to them. It looks like 96% of the 2017 senior class will graduate, which is absolutely exceptional. Try beating that next year, juniors.

Change/Opportunity: Like every other senior class, we came into this year thinking “what can we do to improve our school?” Thanks to Dylan Sengkhounmany, our class president, seniors had the privilege of getting out of 7th period a few minutes early every day this year. Also, this year’s Blue Crue was a lot more organized than last year’s, leading to much more student participation. During election season, Rho Kappa, our school’s social studies honor society, did a really cool thing and put on a mock-election for all students to partake in. I don’t think many other schools had that opportunity, so kudos to Mr. Kay and crew.

Years down the road, the class of 2017 should be remembered as the class that did everything in its power to improve on the already great legacy our school has. Sure there is still room to build, but I believe we accomplished everything that was asked of us and then some. Go Eagles!

• Senior class legacy

• Senior class legacy

• Senior class legacy

• Senior class legacy

• Senior class legacy

• Senior class legacy

• Senior class legacy

• Senior class legacy

• Senior class legacy

Good morning, Feast Lake

• Senior class legacy

Opinions

Philosophical web story by Michael Del Duca

Senior class legacy