ELHS Declassified Senior Survival Guide

A few tips to help you make the most of senior year.

Graduation may seem far away, but it will be here a lot faster than you think.

Jennifer Lima, Staff Writer

Senior year is a much different experience than every other grade in high school. You are finally on top, using the excuse “seniority” at least three times a week to get leverage on the underclassman. Although senior year is full of plenty fun memories and relaxed school days, it does have its stressful periods especially when it comes to making decisions about college. But all you underclassman are in luck; the seniors have provided some tops that will help you to survive the next year:

1. DO NOT wait until the last minute to complete college applications. Although everyone is told not to procrastinate yet always does, a college application that could decide your future is a bit more important than an algebra assignment. This is your future we are talking about! The deadlines of application will also linger over your head, haunting you until you complete them, so the sooner you finish them the quicker the stress is over. Many students underestimate the stress the application process can cause. Kristin Cosgray said, “I waited to the few days before they were due and it was the worst few days of my life because the essay can take forever.” It is also strongly encouraged to have someone review your essay like the fabulous Mrs.Barbieri or Mrs.Mobley. It is important to give them time to go over you work; it is not the kind of thing you can throw at them the day before it is due.

1. Make friends with the people in your class. Many people tend to stick to their own groups and cliques and never want to go outside of that comfortable circle. In high school there is most definitely a lot of tension between groups of people that in ten years is going to be irrelevant. Everyone will soon go different directions, and many people that you have gone to school with the past four years you will never see again. It is a great feeling to leave on a good note, a simply be able to enjoy your senior year with the people who have suffered through school with you for the past thirteen years.

1. Take and FLVS class. Sleeping in just an hour later is a luxury beyond words, same goes for leaving school an hour early. Your motivation will already begin to dwindle and by being on campus for just six periods a day rather than seven makes it a little more bearable. However, if you choose this route it is very important to not put all of your work off until the very end of the year. FLVS classes can be a cake walk as long as you stay on schedule. By the end of the year with senioritis in full swing and you most definitely won’t want to have to work complete it all then.

1. Senioritis it REAL. Joey Howard used to doubt that he would lose motivation for school but now has said, “Even going to school to do nothing is too much work.” Don’t underestimate the power that senior year can have on a person’s motivation and work ethic. Even the smartest and most determined students experience the effects that make it challenging to come to school and actually do homework at home. It is important to prepare yourself to have to fight through the year until graduation.

Senior year is full of its ups and downs, with many more ups, I promise. It is a year to still enjoy being under the care of your parents and not having to worry about being a broke college student. In 20 years you will look back and miss your days as a high schooler so make the most of it!

• ELHS Declassified Senior Survival Guide

Good morning, Feast Lake

Opinions

Philosophical web story by Michael Del Duca

ELHS Declassified Senior Survival Guide