Moment of silence

Here, we see the former President showing how a true moment of silence is done.

Photo provided by Pete Souza

Will Hasell, Entertainment/Editorials Editor

Every day in 2nd period, every student and faculty member stands for the Pledge of Allegiance. Following directly after is a brief moment of silence. This seems so routine and standard for most of us that no one seems to analyze our methods of this daily procedure. Because of this, I decided to venture into this fascinating ritual.

The first thing that prompted my inquiry was the length of the moment of silence. Every time we have the silence, many students seem anxious to sit down prematurely, complaining after about the excessive and inconsistent length of it. For the past week, I recorded the lengths of each moment of silence. The average length was around six seconds, ranging from three seconds to eight seconds. For some students, this seems too long. Senior Benny Glezer states that “sometimes, the moment of silence seems awkwardly lengthy.” Other students believe it’s not long enough.

Senior James Hasell says, “It’s way too short. We need more time to truly reflect.” When asked about the length of this silent moment, senior Kyle Cunningham simply gave me a ten second moment of silence. I interpreted this as a silent stance, defending the length of our moment of silence by demonstrating one.

According to Findlaw.com, a proper moment of silence should be around one minute. This makes ours seem rather short; however, I think it’s just right. The perfect moment of silence for school should be between 5-10 seconds. This still allows for reflection and appreciation of our country but does not disrupt class. I decided to investigate how the length of the moment of silence is determined. After talking to some faculty members, it seems that although the length is suggested to be around five to ten seconds, the announcer of the Pledge of Allegiance decides the specific length.

• Moment of silence

• Moment of silence

• Moment of silence

• Moment of silence

• Moment of silence

• Moment of silence

• Moment of silence

• Moment of silence

• Moment of silence

• Moment of silence

Moment of silence