The hidden gem of honor societies

While Quill and Scroll may be unknown, it is the most prestigious honor society at East Lake

Quill and Scroll is an international honor society with an executive board, scholarships, and weekly writing publications.

Photo provided by Quill and Scroll website

Samantha Roghaar, Advertising Manager

Between National English Honor Society tapping, National Honor Society meetings, and Mu Alpha Theta math competitions, honor societies are all the rage! With so many different subjects being represented by honor societies, journalism can’t be left out. One of the greatest honor societies that some East Lake students may be unaware of is Quill and Scroll. Quill and Scroll is open to students in a journalism class who share a common love of journalism. Membership in Quill and Scroll allows for students to become part of an elite group. Many of the honor societies at East Lake have over a hundred members, while Quill and Scroll has around 20. Quill and Scroll also holds its members to high standing with requirements such as having the equivalent of a B grade average, having done superior work in some phase of journalism or school media work, and being recommended by the supervisor or by the committee governing the media.

Quill and Scroll president and The Talon editor in chief Jacklyn Duffek had a few minutes to step away from her hard work editing the paper to answer a few questions. Jacklyn is “thrilled to be president” because ever since she saw the Disney Channel Movie Read it and Weep (a film about how a teen girl’s writing in a personal journal gets turned into a best-seller), she had an interest in writing. Jacklyn’s favorite part of Quill and Scroll is being part of a “club that helps students publish their own journalism.”  The Talon, East Lake High School’s newspaper, gives students a unique opportunity to express their creativity, opinions, and views through writing.

Overall, Quill and Scroll is one of East Lake’s finest honor societies. Quill and Scroll vice president Izzy Platis summed up the essence of this honor society perfect by describing it as an “amazing honor society dedicated to students’ love of journalism.” I couldn’t have said it better myself.

• The hidden gem of honor societies

• The hidden gem of honor societies

• The hidden gem of honor societies

• The hidden gem of honor societies

• The hidden gem of honor societies

• The hidden gem of honor societies

• The hidden gem of honor societies

• The hidden gem of honor societies

• The hidden gem of honor societies

• The hidden gem of honor societies

The hidden gem of honor societies