Healthy or not?

Is what you're bringing to school for lunch healthy?

You can customize many options for a delicious lunch that is actually good for you.

Hayley Forte, Staff Writer

When it comes to bringing a lunch to school, most kids just bring unhealthy snacks unless their mom packs their lunch. They don’t realize that bringing a healthy lunch can really impact their performance. If you bring the right foods, you won’t feel like you need to take a nap after you eat either.
Usually we’re too busy or too tired to prep a lunch for the following day, if that’s you, try pre making. On Sunday you can go to the store and get ingredients to make your favorite healthy meal. Sunday night make your dish and then maybe cut up your favorite fruit and or veggies to go with it. This is perfect for in the morning when you’re running late and all you have to do is grab your pre-made meal and be out the door!

Senior Chase Aitchison said, “I eat spicy deli chicken on a toasted piece of bread with cucumber, spinach and tomatoes on top; it’s both filling and delicious!!” Some other healthy choices are wrapping lunch meat, cheese and whatever else you like in lettuce, which are called lettuce wraps or an unwich since it’s a sandwich without the bread! Eating a sandy with little or no bread is better for your body anyway, as it keeps the unneeded sugars and gluten out of your body.

Healthyeating.com states that “a healthy lunch contains whole grains, fruit and vegetables. It can give children the energy they need to stay focused, pay attention in class and learn the information presented in their classes following lunch.” Not only can it help you stay more focused, it helps you score higher on standardized tests. Students who eat right tend score three to five percentile higher than those who don’t, so maybe think about what you’re eating in the upcoming days of an important test!

Some ideas to bring for lunch are an apple or celery or even both and some peanut butter to go along with it, both healthy and delicious while giving you the fuel you will need. Another idea is some grilled chicken; if that isn’t filling enough, then you can add it to a salad! My favorite is the upside down salad that my mom makes; she puts it in a jar with the dressing on the bottom, toppings in the middle and then the lettuce on top with chicken. This keeps the dressing from getting everything soggy! All in all, take the time to make a proper lunch, and you will thank yourself later!

• Healthy or not?

• Healthy or not?

• Healthy or not?

• Healthy or not?

• Healthy or not?

• Healthy or not?

• Healthy or not?

• Healthy or not?

• Healthy or not?

• Healthy or not?

Healthy or not?