Behind the scenes of varsity training

I was an athlete once; I know things

Exhibit A

Exhibit A

Jacklyn Duffek, Editor-in-Chief

After the success of my first sports article, I think it’s time to explain how the photo of me got taken. Yes, with a camera on top of the press-box roof, but only because a fellow Talon staff writer, who shall remain anonymous, allowed me to trespass.

The Trainer article was already written, and a week later I arrived to a separate football game early. Early enough to not spot any of my friends in the stands. However, I noticed the girls I met while being an athletic trainer were already on the field preparing for the game. And although I could no longer be on the field, I knew Maria (game livestreamer who feeds the plays to the coaches’ iPads) would be on top of the press-box filming.

So naïve me, assumed I could just walk up the steps of the exclusive press-box and no one would be inside. Because why wouldn’t I wait for my friends in the stands like everyone else? That would be too easy. I opened the door to the press-box thinking I could just climb the ladder up to the roof simple as that, only to enter the room and walk into it being occupied by at least 3 coaches/announcers (all 40+ year old males), Anonymous (Talon writer), and another kid who is irrelevant to the story.

I knew I basically set myself a trap by entering a private lion’s den, and as I inefficiently scanned my brain for lies I could tell, Anonymous quickly jumped in with a loyal line: “She’s writing an article for our school newspaper. It’s a good idea to watch the game from our point of view and see what we do up here.” And as if I had handed them a Super Bowl ring, they let me on the roof.

By the time I actually got up there, Maria was already set up to film the game, but I got to stay the entire time. Not surprisingly, it’s the best view there is! There was also another older guy up there filming with us, and when I asked Maria to take cute Instagram pictures of me, he asked, “Are those pictures for the article you’re writing?” Of course I said yes, but since the article had technically already been written, I decided to include the picture from the roof on the front page.

In summary: the only reason my front page profile picture was able to be taken was because another student allowed me to trespass. I am quite the athlete.

• Behind the scenes of varsity training

• Behind the scenes of varsity training

• Behind the scenes of varsity training

• Behind the scenes of varsity training

• Behind the scenes of varsity training

• Behind the scenes of varsity training

• Behind the scenes of varsity training

• Behind the scenes of varsity training

• Behind the scenes of varsity training

• Behind the scenes of varsity training

Behind the scenes of varsity training