The great escape

Only those with the most daring and cunning made it out unscathed.

Chase Cantin, Staff Writer

Most students don’t want to remain in school after taking one of their finals or midterms. In fact, most students would go very far lengths just to get out of staying at school for a couple more hours. This couldn’t have been truer during my sophomore year’s midterm week. During this week, an event my friends and I now coin as “The Great Escape” occurred. This event will forever be remembered as a highlight of that year. Here is the tale of students’ perseverance, cunning, and will power, just to escape boredom.

It was the very first day of midterm testing. Students were finishing up their exams exhausted, wonder and curiosity filling their minds as they pondered what they would do once they left the dreaded campus. Teachers are not allowed to let students leave after they finish the test, only once they are allowed to dismiss them, so many just discussed with each other their afternoon plans in the classrooms, awaiting the dismissal bell to ring. In years past exams were only an hour and a half, and upon finishing the testing period if a student did not have any more exams they could leave the campus without worrying about repercussions for leaving. This year would be different, however.

When the bell rang students that did not have any more exams wondered about either trying to find their friends or leave. At this time I was searching for my friend Drew as we were going to go play basketball at the park after our first period exams (neither of us had second period exams). I found him sitting on a bench in the middle of the school’s courtyard and once we met up we began to start our walk to the gate leading to the student parking lot so we could leave campus. As we were walking we heard grumbles of students complaining about something; however, we couldn’t hear clearly enough what exactly it was that they were saying, their expressions said enough.

Directing our attention toward the parking lot gate we discovered the source of all of the commotion. Administrators were blocking the gate, proceeding to hand out referrals to any students who walked past. It was pandemonium. The students seemed to have formed a blockade, no, it was more like a wall. The students in front of me and my friend seemed to be making some kind of a formation. As I mentioned my observation to my friend, the students in formation began to charge directly at the gate. “They can’t get us all!” a student yelled as they flooded past the teachers. The group, compiled of mainly seniors, seemed to all make it through with the exception of the ringleaders who seemed to be captured by the SRO’s. Had I been a senior I probably would have done something with them but considering this was two years ago my shy self had no part.

After the flood gates were broken down, the administrators recollected themselves and formed a blockade of their own, impossible to pass through. Discouraged, the students surrounding the scene dispersed to go to their classrooms and remain in school the rest of the day. But this wasn’t the case for one group. Plans of escape were still circulating amongst them and their new plot for escape made its way to me and my friend. We decided that we should join them and escape.

The plan was to circle to the back of the school, by the gate in front of the teacher parking lot in hopes that it was left unguarded. As we wandered around slowly making our way to the opposite side of school our hopes rocketed as in the distance we saw that the gate was in fact not stationed.  In a split second decision, my friend and I decided to book it, refusing the remarks from those beside us. Upon breaking away from the pack an administrator turned the corner to talk to the group, only to watch as my friend and I ran through the gates and down the road. We made it.

• The great escape

• The great escape

• The great escape

• The great escape

• The great escape

• The great escape

• The great escape

• The great escape

• The great escape

• The great escape

The great escape