Buzzed Light Year

A new hero is born

It+looks+so+good+that+even+our+dad+was+brimming+with+envy.+
It looks so good that even our dad was brimming with envy.

Photo provided by Will Hasell

Photo provided by Will Hasell

Will Hasell, Entertainment/Editorials Editor

In this conformist society, it has become extremely difficult to be unique. Our individuality is suppressed by our demand for acceptance. Risks are low and practicality is the basis of most decisions. When did we become like ants? In silent acquiescence, we have submitted to conventionality over originality. I thought that this trend would continue to grow, however, last night, one man took a courageous stand for unique self-identity. This man was James Hasell.

James is usually known as the nice, calm guy that everyone can count on. He is the textbook definition of a good, normal kid. He has great grades, he excels at his extracurriculars, and he is reliable. This is fantastic, however, James had expressed some feelings of unfulfillment in his life.  Even when he seemingly had everything, he was missing the most important part of any life: living. Pure living. By that, I mean having vivid experiences with the world and yourself. Not worrying about fears or consequences, no thinking. Just pure, unfiltered living.

Because of this lack of living, last night we decided that it is time to live. On our way back from work, we pulled over to the local barber to do something rare, some would even say unheard of: get a buzz cut. We waltzed in and demanded the finest of buzz cuts. They seemed happy to help fulfill our mission. Because my head is shaped weird, a buzz cut on me would punish anyone who laid their eyes on me. But James had everything he needed for one: a good head and a good attitude. In all, it only took about 5 minutes to buzz, but the impact would last for centuries. We gave the barber a one hundred percent tip and immediately ran outside to the parking lot to scream into the night sky. “I DID IT. I LIVED. I FINALLY TOOK A RISK.” exclaimed James. James possessed a smile that elicited pure satisfaction. That night, I think he tapped into an unknown reserve of authentic existence that we all have. We should all use James’ act as inspiration to try to have fun and forget all of the burdens that society has placed on us.

• Buzzed Light Year

• Buzzed Light Year

• Buzzed Light Year

• Buzzed Light Year

• Buzzed Light Year

• Buzzed Light Year

• Buzzed Light Year

• Buzzed Light Year

• Buzzed Light Year

• Buzzed Light Year

Buzzed Light Year