50th anniversary

4 classes, 3 staffs, 2 editor sections, 1 girl

Me and my BFF InDesign.

Me and my BFF InDesign.

Photo provided by Reeya Arora

Photo provided by Reeya Arora

Me and my BFF InDesign.

Jacklyn Duffek, Editor in Chief

Through all the drama vocab assignments I didn’t do, some really bad AP Lang essays and even a Hawthorne themed scandal, I have managed to submit 50 web stories. I took Journalism 1 because it seemed fun, and I was not about to sign up for a gym class. But truthfully, I thought Journalism 2 was yearbook and contemplated switching out of the class when I found out it was newspaper.

On the first day of sophomore year Mrs. Barbieri, who is cringing while reading this, told everyone to stand up and introduce themselves. I really have no issue with public speaking. Or, at least I thought I had no issue with public speaking-until I was told to introduce my 14-year-old self to a room full of seniors who looked a decade older than me.

The entire first class I had been mentally preparing to switch out. Until, Queen Barbs held up a copy of the Talon and my mind flashed back to elementary school, when I watched a Disney Channel movie classic, Read It and Weep. In this epic Disney Channel saga, high school nobody Jamie Bartlett edits the school newspaper, but rather than input the stories she’s supposed to, the paper is covered with her own personal diary. Tragic.

Since being taught that newspaper is a dramatic whirlwind by the icon herself, Jamie Bartlett, I decided to stay in the class, publishing things through web stories which later translated to Reality Recap articles on my blog. And as students started noticing that I wrote for the Talon, it was like my own version of Read It and Weep. Without her book deal or HSN career. I was shocked to see my scheduling mistake become the best part of my day, something that made my entire high school experience. Oh but then, naïve Jacklyn, made the mistake of becoming an editor.

I envisioned editing the newspaper as a one-time thing, like maybe the positions interchange or whoever wants to edit can do so. Of course we had set editors for each section, but due to lack of initiative and one very stubborn editor in particular (who fed me to the wolves but its fine I’m not petty) the Talon was in need of another editor. My brain pictured me sitting at a desk fixing grammar mistakes and editing hand written rough drafts. Clearly that was not the case. Because when the day came to “train me” as an editor, I was introduced to my new frien-imie, InDesign. Any staff member can tell you they have a love-hate relationship with InDesign, and for me, it’s turned into pure satisfaction. The gratification when you do something correct is astounding. Every time I open that outdated program from 2008, a boxing match bell rings in my head. Flash forward two years and InDesign and I have spent many days together editing the News and Entertainment and Editorials sections. Now as Editor-in-Chief, I get frustrated from afar.

In the past three years, room 9133 has been the highlight of my day. And three staffs later, this is the most fun I’ve ever had. My scheduling mistake from 10th grade was pure serendipity. If I had another year, I’d write 50 more web stories.

• 50th anniversary

• 50th anniversary

• 50th anniversary

• 50th anniversary

• 50th anniversary

• 50th anniversary

• 50th anniversary

• 50th anniversary

• 50th anniversary

• 50th anniversary

50th anniversary