Underclassman misunderstandings

A look back at how naïve I was just two short years ago

Just a few years ago, I was walking around the halls of East Lake dressed as a baby thinking there was a pool on top of the media center.

Photo provided by Bre Barone

Samantha Roghaar, Advertising Manager

After being accepted to college and starting the countdown to graduation, I have found it to be a difficult task to not completely check out of high school. When I was a freshman, I often heard my older brother and his friends talk about the scary reality of senioritis but I never thought I could become a victim. Thinking back to this made me wonder, what other things did I not understand as an underclassman?

The first thing that I did not understand as an underclassman was what time qualifies staying up late on a school night. Three years ago, I would have considered going to bed around 10:30 or 11:00 p.m. late. Now if I went to bed at 10:30 p.m., I would be getting a great night’s worth of sleep. The fact that I am writing this web story at 4 a.m. demonstrates the difference in a late night for an upperclassman.

Another misconception I had as an underclassman was that having a job in high school would be fun. While I love my job and I am grateful for it, I definitely do not consider holding a crying baby while watching 20 other children on a school night fun.

One last misunderstanding I had was that I’d be able to kick back and relax during senior year because as a senior, you’re practically done. I couldn’t have been more wrong on this one. Throughout my senior year, I’ve found that there’s always an application (whether it’s for a college or scholarship) that needs to be completed on top of regular coursework and assignments. This cycle of completing applications has contributed to making my and many others’ senior year the busiest one yet. Now looking back, it’s interesting to see how perception of different concepts and ideas can change from year to year.