Talon thinkback

A lot has happened in East Lake’s infamous newspaper class these past two years

It’s always a good time in newspaper!

Photo provided by Hayley Forte

It’s always a good time in newspaper!

Samantha Roghaar, Advertising Manager

After spending hundreds of days in Mrs. Barbieri’s journalism class also known as Talon, I’ve experienced some unforgettable moments. With my final web story drawing closer and closer, I decided to take a moment to look back and reflect on my time in Talon. The following are my favorite Talon memories.

Most unforgettable: The rejected hug

Last school year, there was one day in Talon that no real newspaper student would ever forget. It was towards the beginning of the school year and Mrs. Barbieri started off class by talking to us about upcoming deadlines. A little bit later, freshman (at the time of the incident) Julia Barbieri stopped by our classroom to say hi to her mom. However, when Julia tried to give Mrs. Barbieri a hug she was quickly shooed away. The rejected hug is a famous Talon moment that will always be remembered.

Most disgusting: Live food challenge

For those unfamiliar with Talon lingo, food challenges are when staff writers find or create an eating challenge and then write their article about it. Last year, some hungry students decided to do a live food challenge in Talon with Mrs. Barbieri’s homemade cookies. While this may seem like a great source of entertainment, don’t be fooled. Watching seventeen and eighteen-year-old boys, like East Lake grad Ben Chong and current senior Stony Hooker, struggle to eat the cookies, spit up milk on themselves, and then not even finish the cookies (to my disgust, other Talon staff members finished off the cookies) was extremely disappointing and gross.

Most miserable: The fire drill to end all fire drills

It was an ordinary morning and another class period of hard work dedicated to journalism was about to finish when the fire alarm went off. Some students were surprised to have a drill so close to lunch but they figured it was no big deal. After standing outside in the heat for more than ten minutes, everyone became more aware that this wasn’t just a routinely fire drill. This was just the beginning of the East Lake bomb threat.

Overall, I have a lot of great memories from Talon and I look forward to making more in these last few months!

• Talon thinkback

AP Exams: Fasting edition

• Talon thinkback

Da Vinci Painting Goes Missing

• Talon thinkback

Going green: pros and cons of a plant-based diet

• Talon thinkback

• Talon thinkback

• Talon thinkback

• Talon thinkback

• Talon thinkback

• Talon thinkback

• Talon thinkback

Talon thinkback