ELHS water warfare 2

ELHS water warfare 2

Ian Woodward, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year when East Lake’s finest take to the streets with only one goal in mind; to squirt and splash their fellow scholars. Water Wars is here everyone, so remember to lock your doors and watch your back because you never know who will be waiting just around the corner to soak you and your aspirations into next year. Water Wars is not a time for friendship or mercy; it is your moment to show your fellow student your inner John McClane and claim the grand prize for yourself. Let the games begin.

If you have never heard of Water Wars or are a junior eager to play your part when your time comes, then let me break it down for you. Water Wars is a vastly competitive team based contest (originated in 2010 by that respective East Lake class, whom borrowed the idea from a school in Hillsborough County) in which seniors of East Lake attempt to soak their fellow students via squirt gun (or any water projection device) in order to gain points to help them win. With strict guidelines and restrictions, the concept of the event is simple, squirt others to get points. Every year there is a grand prize varying in price based off the number of people who have entered to play that year. Each team member pays five dollars in order to compete, which can at times result dumbfounding amounts of money for the winner. This year’s contest has the potential to have a grand prize of upwards of $600. With this large of a prize at stake, no team is to take this game lightly, everyone will bring their A-game.

The names of teams are nothing short of spectacular every year, and this year is nothing different. With team names such as “Moisty Men,” “Four Soako” and “Aqua Akbar” to keep the game even more entertaining than it already is this year’s Water Wars is shaping up to be a good one. With opening day ahead and teams being finalized the twitter beef between teams has started right away, with hilarious edits and “fire roasts” directed towards members of other teams, this year is shaping up to be another cutthroat year.

Friendships may be lost, feelings may get hurt, and shirts will get wet; one thing is for sure nobody is prepared for the wet times to come…