Alex’s lacrosse adventure

A journey

A keep in the goal.

Photo provided by https://laxgoalierat.com

A keep in the goal.

Alex Nakamura, Staff Writer

Before I talk about my experience with Lacrosse and all the nitty gritty, allow me to introduce how this all happened. When I embarked on this journey, it was spontaneous decision with very little thought. One day in newspaper, seniors Nik Holdsworth and Luke Weaver said, “Hey anyone want to be a goalie for lacrosse, we need a goalie.” I heard this and I immediately responded, “I’m interested!” Now I do believe at first they thought I was joking probably because I don’t look like the athletic type. They asked “Are you being serious?” Of course I was being serious, so I got the information on who to talk to and I went on my merry way.

I was told to talk to a Rick Sevetkoff (Senior), a man of which I knew of because I had IIT with him freshman year. If you don’t know what Rick looks like, he’s a tall guy, about 6’3 with blonde hair down to his shoulders; the man looks like an Olympian. I knew it’d be easy finding him since he sticks out from the rest of the crowd. But then I forgot that I had 5th period with him so I talked to him about lacrosse then. He gave me all the paperwork and information I needed to join the team and there begun my first steps into joining. Little did I know when starting that I needed to pay $400 to join the team, but I already committed my mind and heart so I had to do it; it was all or nothing and I didn’t want to disappoint. I pulled the funds out of my savings to pay for everything lacrosse.

After I situated the money, I needed to get equipment, I had no idea where to start so I asked Luke Weaver and he said to check with senior Matt Garff, the previous goalie.  I paid $175 to get most of the equipment I needed for lacrosse; it’s honestly amazing how much gear there is that you need. Once I got most of the equipment, there came my first practice. My first practice wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be. We did some warmups and then I hopped into the cage, I had some shots thrown on me and I surprisingly did better than I thought I would ever do. My stick work was pretty sloppy and I looked awkward trying to pick up balls but overall I was impressed with my first performance. I thought it would be an utter embarrassment. After that, we did a scrimmage with me in the goal and Luke in the other goal. I had no idea what to expect from this, I wasn’t wearing a cup at the time, but I wasn’t very worried either. It wasn’t until a shot landed right below my stomach and crotch region that I knew I should fear for my life. It was painful and stung a ton. But something I knew before entering that goal was to take shots to my body like a man and pretend that it doesn’t hurt. But of course, I did keel over a bit and waddle around before straightening out and continuing.

My experience with lacrosse overall was an adventure. I learned a lot, gained new skills, and made tons of new friends.

• Alex’s lacrosse adventure

• Alex’s lacrosse adventure

• Alex’s lacrosse adventure

• Alex’s lacrosse adventure

• Alex’s lacrosse adventure

• Alex’s lacrosse adventure

• Alex’s lacrosse adventure

• Alex’s lacrosse adventure

• Alex’s lacrosse adventure

• Alex’s lacrosse adventure

Alex’s lacrosse adventure