Out with the old in with the “new” old

Hayley Forte, Staff Writer

Most high school girls remember the days when their moms would try to get then to wear a jean shirt or even worse, flared jeans. I remember vividly when I was in middle school and my mom tried to get me to wear a jean skirt on the first day school. To this day, I remember my exact words: I told her “I would never be caught dead wearing a jean skirt EVER in my life.” Well, joke’s on me. I have about four different jean skirts that are all different shades of denim; you can pretty much find me wearing a different one at least once a week. There are a lot more popular trends than just jean skirts, like Vans.

A new trend that has recently made its way back around are Vans. Vans were very popular shoes in the 70’s. They were usually worn by skateboarders, but this time around, you can pretty much find anyone wearing them. The most popular worn styled shoes these days are the plain white classic slip-ons or the black and white checkered slip-ons. Although these shoes are very comfortable, they can get dirty very fast because they are the go to shoes when you’re running late and don’t have time to dig through your closet for shoes. Just like anything, you can only bleach them so many times before they turn yellow and you have to pitch them and spend another $50 on a new pair.

The most common 90’s trend that has made an appearance again are overalls. Before the 90’s they used to be a working-classic staple, but they then became fashionable and popular. Now you can see teens wearing them in about any color, often worn with one strap off the shoulder with a plain tight crop top underneath it. Although I think it looks good on others, this is one trend I will not participate in.

There are a bunch of other trends that have come around again that aren’t as popular, like scrunchies, round glasses, jean jackets and flannels. Senior Cailey McKinney said, “Scrunchies are my new staple, I have them in about every color and you can always find me with a new one on my wrist every day.” Trends always find their way back around so if your favorite piece of clothing goes out of style, keep it for awhile because I’m sure you’ll have the chance to wear it again or better yet, hand them down to your kids to wear!

• Out with the old in with the “new” old

Will Wyatt Harris pull off the unthinkable?

Save the Date

It’s Cuffing Season

Don’t Try This at Home

Queen of Rock

VS Fashion Show: A Men’s Rights Issue

Come See All My Sons!

Bring back the mullet, or die trying

Out with the old in with the “new” old