Dear juniors…

It’s almost your time, class of ‘19.

It’s almost your time, class of ‘19.

Photo provided by www.ans.edu.ni

Photo provided by www.ans.edu.ni

It’s almost your time, class of ‘19.

Isabel Platis, News Editor

The school year is finally coming to an end and I’m sure you’ve never been more ready for summer. For me, junior year was the most challenging year of high school because of my 4 AP classes and tons of extra-curricular activities I was involved in  to help me get into college. After a grueling 9 months of endless notes, hundreds of scantrons and too many late nights to count, I entered summer feeling exhausted yet confident that senior year would be a breeze. I thought I had everything figured out as senior year started, and boy was I wrong.

Now, I wouldn’t say senior year was a breeze, but it was definitely much smoother than junior year. You feel like you’re on top of the world as you walk around school on the first day with your Hawaiian lei and “Hi my name is senior” name tag. And if I’m being honest, that feeling never really goes away. This is also the year that you will probably come face to face with your laziest self. Not caring about what you wear to school, how late you were to 1st period because you wanted coffee and how many naps you’ve taken on those uncomfortable desks. Your first semester will mostly consist of repetitive college applications and lots of wasted paper on rough drafts of college essays. Once those applications are submitted, a huge weight is lifted off your shoulder but is quickly replaced with worry and stress as you wait to hear back from those schools. As for classes, don’t overwhelm yourself by taking 5 AP’s. It’s really not worth it in my opinion, unless you’re one of those kids going for valedictorian or salutatorian. I rarely had homework this year, and when I did I usually completed it the class period before it was due. In the midst of college applications, classes, sports and work, it’s so important to remember that this is the last year that all of your friends will be together, so take advantage of any opportunity to be around those people. Senior year is all about finding a balance between getting your work done and having fun. Cherish every memory you make with your friends this year and don’t be that person that misses out on an opportunity because you’d rather be at home by yourself. Also, if you’ve ever heard people say that they made so many new friends senior year and they’re sad they didn’t know them 3 years ago, well, that’s a fact. I’ve met some amazing people and rekindled many friendships and I know my senior year wouldn’t have been the same without them.

The last point I want to make to all you juniors out there is that although you probably have a plan in mind about what college you want to go to and what you want to major in, always keep your options open. For the first three years of high school, I knew exactly where I wanted to go to college. I dreamed about it in my mind, I narrowed my focus on that one school and I pretty much blocked any other options. As I entered senior year, I still had this dream in my head and I was so narrow minded that I almost didn’t even apply to the school that I’m going to be attending in the fall. I took a last minute visit to a school that I originally had no interest in going to, and I instantly fell in love. I came home and applied to the school with only a few days to spare before the deadline and I was accepted a couple months later. I ended up not getting into the school I had dreamed of for so long, but was even more thrilled to be going to this other school I had fallen in love with recently. Senior year taught me the valuable lesson of always staying open minded. Don’t be so focused on one thing that you completely look past something even greater. This is true when it comes to choosing colleges, friends and really anything in life. Senior year was a learning experience for me, and I definitely came out stronger on the other end.

• Dear juniors…

• Dear juniors…

• Dear juniors…

• Dear juniors…

• Dear juniors…

• Dear juniors…

• Dear juniors…

• Dear juniors…

• Dear juniors…

• Dear juniors…

Dear juniors…