How to ace your next test

According to the National Survey of Student Engagement's findings, the average student spends about 17 hours each week preparing for classes. This includes reading, homework, and other assignments.

Lianys Olmeda, Staff Writer

Whether you study a week before a test or cram in five minutes beforehand, studying is an unfortunate reality of every high schooler’s life. Moreover, there is a great variety of ways that one can go about memorizing large amounts of information for a test or quiz. Some people use the textbooks, or read over their notes, or some even make their own reviews. Regardless of which method a student uses, study tips can always be useful and might just save their grades. Through experiments and different studies, researchers have been able to find some of the best ways to enhance one’s memory and ultimately improve studying.

Even though computers and other electronic devices can be convenient resources in which to access online textbooks, they can also be detrimental to studying. It was found by a psychology lecturer that students reading from a computer screen required more repetition in order to learn new material compared to students who used printed material. Using physical copies of textbooks and generally using printed material over electronic can help save time when studying and can help you grasp concepts better. Furthermore, when you’re reading off  your printed textbook, say what you read out loud, instead of in silence. When you read out loud, the dual effect of not only speaking, but also hearing, helps encode memory in a stronger, more effective way. After you’re done reading and you feel like you understand the concepts that you’ve just studied, you should try to teach what you have learned to someone else. By trying to teach someone else these concepts, or at least pretending like you’re teaching someone, you can get a better idea of what you know. While you’re reviewing everything one last time, you can use a reward system to motivate yourself to finish studying. For example, you could eat a gummy bear for every paragraph or page that you’ve studied. Once that’s done, you will be prepared to ace the test and bring up your grades, all thanks to your hard work and dedication. After all, as Thomas Edison once famously said, “Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.”

• How to ace your next test

• How to ace your next test

• How to ace your next test

• How to ace your next test

• How to ace your next test

• How to ace your next test

• How to ace your next test

• How to ace your next test

• How to ace your next test

• How to ace your next test

How to ace your next test