Senioritis

The effect of senioritis upon this article's author was obvious, as he submitted this photo several days after the actual story.

Connor Wells, Staff Writer

Since I was a freshman, I heard rumors of a disease that affected most high schoolers around the ages of 17 and 18. This affliction would hit at different times, some seeing symptoms as early as 1st semester and some as late as May into their senior year. The most typical time for the disease to strike (in the case of last year’s seniors) was around January and February, the release dates of acceptance into University of Florida and Florida State university being the main accelerants of the disease.

This disease is Senioritis, and as I write this article I can feel it start to grip my academic health. From reports and stories from past seniors as well as observations of current seniors, I’ve been able to organize the symptoms and create an accurate description of the disease. Senioritis can be defined as lack of motivation in high school seniors to not only show up to school but to do assigned schoolwork.

To gain insight into lack of attendance, I spoke to one student who has deeply been impacted by the disease and may in fact be the first patient. Jackson Kennedy’s attendance is very spotty to say the least. He may show up to four times a week, but has averaged more like two as of late. Jackson frequently finds himself less motivated to go into school unless for the purpose of a test or to make up work. This provides insight into the lack of motivation for work. Unless it equates into a large portion of your grade, there is little to no motivation for the afflicted to do it.

My look into the disease known as Senioritis has caused me to reflect on my own health. I’ve felt some of the symptoms take on an early role in my grades, skipping first period is becoming more and more appealing, and I find myself losing motivation to do assignments that don’t equate to a large portion of my grade. Of course, there are vaccinations against these symptoms, such as classes that have substantive and worthwhile work. My personal vaccine is a second period class known as Newspaper, in which I am always ready and excited to do a web story or any other small assignment.

• Senioritis

• Senioritis

• Senioritis

• Senioritis

• Senioritis

• Senioritis

• Senioritis

• Senioritis

• Senioritis

• Senioritis

Senioritis