High school survival guide

High school survival guide

This is what it looks like when you don’t take Daniel Cusimano’s advice on high school!

Daniel Cusimano, Staff Writer

Who is Daniel Cusimano? Do I care about Daniel Cusimano? What does Daniel Cusimano do? Well find out in this article who this legendary icon is!

Hello everyone! For those of you who do not know me, I am Daniel Cusimano and I am a senior at the Lake. Now I know what you must be thinking “Wow, this self-absorbed kid is writing about himself NEXT!” Well you aren’t totally wrong, but I am also here to teach you all how to survive high school at an extreme level and what you can do to better ease your minds about high school!

So, I am currently a senior at East Lake and to say it has been all fun is an understatement. I am never sitting down doing nothing; I am always moving. I am a part of seven National Honor Societies, a part of over seven clubs, I do Musical Theatre and Theatre, I am currently in the Nutcracker, I used to run track and cross country, have a job at Publix, feed the homeless on selects Saturdays, volunteered at the YMCA and take all honors and AP classes. My whole life I was always taught to move but to slow down. I guess I never took the “slow down part.” Now that you know a little bit more about me, I will give you tips and tricks on how to survive.

Here is my quick two-step process on how to get your high school life on track. Step One is time management. You need to be able to sit down and think to yourself what you need to get done and when you need to get it done. I am always at rehearsals Monday-Friday till around four to five o’clock. During the day I make a list of all the assignments I need to get done and if I have free time in my classes I get it done ahead of time. I am a big believer in SLEEP. It is one of my favorite activities to do multiple times a day. If you are able to knock out most of your assignments throughout the day, that heavy weight on your shoulders begins to lift as you do and complete each assignment. The last step is the most important: take it one step at a time. There is always that point in high school where you say to yourself “this is it, I am going to be a dropout, I am done!” But at the end of the day you can get through this! Take it one paper, one chapter of notes at a time. The saying goes “the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.” Don’t look at the big picture but look at the smaller picture. These will lower your stress levels and make you feel better about your life and make you want to not die 24/7.

As we conclude this segment, I want you all to know that you can do it. High school is a hard an exhausting time in our lives and there are simply days where you just don’t think you can do it anymore. Believe me y’all I have been there many times. Don’t let high school break you, don’t let it determine who you are! Be your own person, make your own differences and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel! Be strong and remember “the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.”

-Daniel Cusimano

You too can be student of the month for East Lake High School when you follow my advice!

• High school survival guide

Will Wyatt Harris pull off the unthinkable?

• High school survival guide

Save the Date

• High school survival guide

It’s Cuffing Season

• High school survival guide

Don’t Try This at Home

• High school survival guide

Queen of Rock

• High school survival guide

VS Fashion Show: A Men’s Rights Issue

• High school survival guide

Come See All My Sons!

• High school survival guide

Bring back the mullet, or die trying

• High school survival guide

• High school survival guide

High school survival guide