Midterm Mania

Chaos is in the air, its midterms-eve

Midterm Mania

Student, as shown above, was just informed that there are no extra credit opportunities for his business class. The look says it all.
Photo from www.videoblocks.com

Student, as shown above, was just informed that there are no extra credit opportunities for his business class. The look says it all. Photo from www.videoblocks.com

Patrick Roghaar, Staff Writer

It’s an all too familiar week at East Lake. Everyone knows it and takes part of it.  Of course I am talking about the week before midterm exams. Symbolic of the first semester being over, a thin layer of madness fills the halls of the high school, as all students are working to bring their 79s and 89s up to that next letter.

There’s a consistent trend throughout the nine week quarters of school. The first couple weeks, students give it their all to establish the highest grade possible so it is easier to maintain. The weeks in the middle, students are, well, maintaining. This level of flat line begins to drop off towards the last remaining weeks, as school has taken a toll on us students and we more or less are sick of it. Therefore, the grades start to fall. This displays the importance of the almighty pre-midterms week. Students put on their best sad face and puppy eyes combo to ask their teachers for an extra credit assignment. Some even additionally magically learn proper grammar for typing their desperate emails filled to the brim with begging and pleading. We all have done this at one point in our high school careers. I know I have. Multiple times.

The entirety of this rising, maintaining, and falling analysis can be very strategic. We all know our strengths and weaknesses. While the simplest method is obviously to rise and maintain, the mental toll that education takes on us feeble-minded students may make that option rather impossible. People could play the teacher’s pet strategy, constantly relating and establishing a reputable name for yourself within the classroom so when it comes time to ask for extra credit you already know the answer’s going to be yes. We’re really all just living the same lives in different bodies; what makes us unique is how we go about these alike scenarios. I hope this gave insight into the madness that is midterms-eve, and a look into us Eagles’ minds in the upcoming days.