College creeping around the corner

According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2017–2018 school year was $34,740 at private colleges and $9,970 for state residents at public colleges.

Danielle Barnych, Staff Writer

As a high school senior, I am in the midst of making a life-changing decision of where I want to go to college. It can be seriously nerve wracking to pick a path that could decide your future. Through all this chaos, it’s comforting to know that we still have some time to decide. As you are making your college decision think about what is most important to you, whether it’s related to the institution’s location, scholarships/financial aid, and education.

Although these are the basic things students consider before attending a college, there are other reasons people want to attend a certain college. A big reason could be that their friends are also attending the same college. When asked about his decision to attend a certain college, senior Carter Reed explained, “It’s more fun to experience college with your friends.” It is scary enough living on your own without your parents, let alone being immersed in an environment full of strangers. Sometimes it helps to see some familiar faces around campus. Along with this, some families favor colleges and students try to go to the same college as their parents to somehow get in touch with their family roots or they might have other siblings attending that college as well.

Another reason could be the fact that students want to experience a new place farther away from where they lived before. The new area might give the true college experience of being an adult and making decisions all on your own. If this sounds like you, you are lucky because there are many out-of-states schools that offer scholarships for incoming students from other states, so your dreams of going to a new place can finally become a reality. On the other hand, Talon staff writer Lianys Olmeda disagrees because she says, “Staying closer to home is more beneficial for me because I can still be close to my parents and save money all at the same time.”

No matter what your reasons are just remember that it is YOUR decision at the end of the day. No one should be able to stop you from pursuing your dreams at the college you want to attend (unless your parents are paying for your college because then you might have a problem).

• College creeping around the corner

• College creeping around the corner

• College creeping around the corner

• College creeping around the corner

• College creeping around the corner

• College creeping around the corner

• College creeping around the corner

• College creeping around the corner

• College creeping around the corner

• College creeping around the corner

College creeping around the corner