Summer vs Fall Semester in college; Pros and Cons

Emily Rollins, Staff Writer

It’s that time of the year when every senior is finally finding out if they got accepted into their dream school. Now this sparks the arising of a series of questions. Where will I be going? Am I going to live on campus? Who am I going to room with? What am I going to study? Will I participate in any school related activities? Am I going to do Fall or Summer? All of these questions immediately rush an incoming freshman’s mind, and there are answers to all of them. Of course, it is always best to confide with an expert who specializes in this area, but also asking older students can give you the answers you need to many of these questions.

Now, when it comes to whether or not it is best to do summer or fall, when starting off as an incoming freshman, it honestly all depends on the individual and their preferences. Every person has different preferences, whether it be their summer plans, such as going on vacation, working, or visiting family, or their eagerness to move into the next chapter of their lives and get a head start on their studies. In many cases, factors such as grade point average and test scores also factor into the admissions process, which directly relates to the term the student receives. Many students who wish to begin in the fall term, end up starting in the summer, simply because their scores and GPA weren’t high enough to begin in the fall. In other words, it is usually easier to get in for summer terms than fall terms. This gives students more of a free summer to enjoy and fall is usually a bit more difficult as the entire school will be attending the campus.

Senior Wyatt Harris says, “I prefer Fall. This way I can get a job over the summer and save up some more money. Maybe I’ll even use that money to join a frat.” However, in many cases, students actually prefer the summer terms. For instance, starting in the summer can get you a head start on your major or any prerequisites you are needing to complete. It can also give you the opportunity to meet new people and be surrounded by a wider class of freshman, who are also new to the whole college experience, just like you! Additionally, summer terms/studying abroad terms are often required in Florida schools, so it would be best to just get this requirement out of the way, when you’re a freshman, because you will be surrounded by other freshman. Senior Sarah Klug mentions, “I’m definitely happy with doing summer. This way I can meet all the new freshman, get used to the campus, and even finish my requirement of a Summer Semester.” However, it all depends on individual preference, and regardless of which term you are enrolled in, college is bound to be the best four years of your life.

• Summer vs Fall Semester in college; Pros and Cons

AP Exams: Fasting edition

Da Vinci Painting Goes Missing

Going green: pros and cons of a plant-based diet