Classes and programs to take at East Lake

ELHS offers classes for many interests, ranging from engineering to theater.

Olivia Mackenzie, Staff Writer

East Lake High School offers many programs and academies, including Biomedical Science Academy, Engineering Academy, Business Academy, Band Program, AP Capstone Program, Theater program, and more. These classes and academies all focus on different things or interests that students can choose.

The biomedical electives and engineering academy are both four-year programs. Biomedical classes include principles of biomedical sciences, human body sciences, medical interventions, and biomedical innovations. These classes all focus on things revolving around the human body such as diseases or disabilities, medical interventions that help the body, new inventions that you can create yourself, and so much more. All focus is on the human body processes and overall how the body works. Senior Emily Rollins has been in the biomed academy all four years and said, “Biomed is a fun and interactive class that I always look forward to.” The engineering academy is also a four-year program that consists of a few different choices. There are classes like intro into engineering design, principles of engineering, aerospace engineering, civil engineering, engineering design and development, and more. These classes are specific for people who are interested in those two fields of study.

AP Capstone is a two-year program that consists of the classes AP Seminar and AP Research that you take junior and senior year. These consist of writing research papers and presenting in front of the class. These classes are very helpful for preparation for college, teaching you how to write the different parts of a research paper and time management with papers. Senior Annarose Alemayehu says that AP Capstone “helps me feel prepared for college research and papers that we will have to do.”

If you are interested in the music and theatrical route, the band program is the way to go. Offering many different instruments to play and classes to take for them, the band program is very popular. Band also offers marching band which perform at different events and games, often traveling for competitions. Theater has an astounding program and classes that many love. With theater and singing, the theater program is amazing. Offering different classes and building the sets used in the plays, one can get the full feel of behind the scenes of theater as well.

Overall, East Lake High School has so many different options for different programs or classes to take, and these are just a few examples of some that are offered. Whether you are an incoming freshman, lowerclassman, or upperclassman, you can always try new programs that fit your interest.

• Classes and programs to take at East Lake

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Potentially Record Breaking Weather