All We Need Is Sleep

Savannah Henslee, Staff Writer

Sleep deprivation is becoming an increasingly more common problem for our society, especially in high school students. Teenagers require a minimum of eight hours of sleep and up to ten hours, but around 9 to 9 and a half has been shown to be the best amount of sleep for teenagers to be able to function properly. When they do not leave enough time in their schedule or they are unable to leave the time they need to get the proper amount of sleep, it leads to sleep deprivation, which causes many serious issues.

Students who suffer from sleep deprivation face both physical and mental problems, some of which are short term problems, but others are long term. These problems can cause issues in their life at home with their families, in their social lives as well at school. Go through an average high school student’s daily schedule and you will be able to see where, when and why sleep deprivation is affecting them.

Teenagers’ bodies work differently on a biological level than those of children or adults. Research from medical professionals at Nationwide Children explains that the way teenagers’ bodies function causes them to have a hard time falling asleep before 11 p.m.  Based on this information teens should not be getting up before 7 a.m. just to get the absolute minimum number of hours required for them to be able to function properly. With this being said, many high schools have the start time set at 7 or 7:30 am. This causes many students to have to get up in many cases at 5 a.m., meaning these teens get, at the very least, two hours of valuable and necessary sleep that teens need to be able to stay healthy, physically and mentally, and to be able to function properly.

This is a very serious problem that is causing many other problems in our lives. We need sleep. We cannot function without it, we cannot live without it. Teenagers get in trouble for their attitudes or having problems in class with grades or other things when in reality it is not always necessarily their fault.

• All We Need Is Sleep

AP Exams: Fasting edition

• All We Need Is Sleep

Da Vinci Painting Goes Missing

• All We Need Is Sleep

Going green: pros and cons of a plant-based diet

• All We Need Is Sleep

• All We Need Is Sleep

• All We Need Is Sleep

• All We Need Is Sleep

• All We Need Is Sleep

• All We Need Is Sleep

• All We Need Is Sleep

All We Need Is Sleep