Is Homework Really A Good Thing

Savannah Henslee, Staff Writer

Homework is despised by many students and parents alike.  High school students are overburdened with a large amount of homework. Though there are teachers and parents who will say that homework is a “necessary evil,” the parents and teachers and students who say that homework is actually a bad thing may be right.

Home should be a place to relax and recharge from the activities of the day. Students have enough things to worry about at home without adding homework into the mix. Homework is unnecessarily reducing the amount of time families get to have together. According to one person, “Family time is especially important to a growing child and without it social problems can crop up and a family unit can be compromised by a lack of time being spent together” so homework is really hindering both social life and family life.

It can also cause conflict between parents who try and get their child or children to get their homework done and the student who may be stressed, overwhelmed, and in need of a break. It can unfortunately also lead to students cheating more when they end up copying each other’s work to get assignments they may not have done turned in on time.

Although homework can be a detrimental thing for students and families, there are some benefits to homework. So, when homework is assigned teachers need to realize what is too much and what is okay and that their students are also likely getting homework in other classes as well. According to a study “published in The Journal of Experimental Education, suggested that any more than two hours of homework each night is counterproductive.” Yet in the same study they found that on average high school students have at least three hours of homework each night and often had more.

It may be unreasonable to attempt to get rid of all homework, but we do need to try our hardest to bring the amount of homework reduced. Homework is stressing students and parents and adding stress into relationships that do not need to be stressed.

• Is Homework Really A Good Thing

• Is Homework Really A Good Thing

• Is Homework Really A Good Thing

• Is Homework Really A Good Thing

• Is Homework Really A Good Thing

• Is Homework Really A Good Thing

• Is Homework Really A Good Thing

• Is Homework Really A Good Thing

• Is Homework Really A Good Thing

Spider-Man: Far From Home

• Is Homework Really A Good Thing

Potentially Record Breaking Weather

Is Homework Really A Good Thing