The College Application Experience 10/10 Rough

*DISCLAIMER* This is a bottle of SPARKING GRAPE JUICE!
A very common picture of Daniel Cusimano crying and suffering over college. Make sure you follow his college audition tips and tricks to not end up like this 5 day a week!
Photo Credits- Elysa Rutherford

*DISCLAIMER* This is a bottle of SPARKING GRAPE JUICE! A very common picture of Daniel Cusimano crying and suffering over college. Make sure you follow his college audition tips and tricks to not end up like this 5 day a week! Photo Credits- Elysa Rutherford

Daniel Cusimano, Staff Writer

College, a concept I thought I knew. Welcome to the Musical Theatre college survival guide. Today I will be teaching you the process and how to get ahead and not want to die every single day!

Hello! Let’s get this started. I started the college audition process August 3rd, 2018. It is currently February 28th, 2019 and I have recently just finished the process. For anyone reading this who wants to do theatre, buckle up! I applied to over 30 schools and auditioned for over 15 for musical theatre. Things that you need to get finished right off the bat are; Complete the standard application, get recommendation letters ASAP, have headshots already taken, and have a list of colleges you want and what their requirements are! When applying to a musical theatre school, you need to apply, and then send a video of you singing and acting. Just when you thought that wasn’t enough if you’re lucky enough to get past that step you can go for the final callback (typically at the school), and then pray that you can get into the school (which usually accepts between 3-8 guys for your high up schools).

This process is the closest I have been to hell and I am not for it. Constant rejection gets sad and tiring quick. To prevent yourself from burning out and wanting to quit every single day of this process you need to make a spreadsheet of all the information on your schools and exc.! Before you have your final list of colleges that you want to apply to know how much it is to go there, what they want for their pre-screen and audition process and what their class size is. This will take a weight off your shoulders immediately. Secondly, get all your materials and backup materials ready. Colleges will ask you for so much stuff it is way better to be over prepared. If you are a junior reading this, take that SAT/ACT now and over the summer. Don’t be one of those seniors taking the December ACT/SAT praying it gets to where you need it to be! Study hard now and get that off your chest. Once you have all of that down, the last step is to be realistic. You need to look at yourself in the mirror and ask if this is something you really want to do and have a backup plan. If you can get ahead in this process and are overprepared, you will be way less stressed out through this 8-month process. I went to New York for Unifieds, which is where a bunch of colleges go to see you audition so you don’t have to fly up to each place you want to go. This process is filled with constant rejection and heartbreak. You need to be strong and have faith in yourself and the process. You will end up at the college you’re supposed to be at. If you ever need any help with college in general or musical/theatre you can contact me on any social media platform! If you’re reading this and are about to start the college application track remember, be safe, be brave, and don’t give up.

Instagram- Daniel_Cusimano

Snapchat- Danfanpro

-Daniel Cusimano

• The College Application Experience 10/10 Rough

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Potentially Record Breaking Weather