Which candies are treats and which are tricks?

Who knew that something as small as Candy Corn could be so divisive?

Jacob Reiter, Staff Writer

With Halloween being right around the corner I thought that asking the student body of East Lake what their opinions on candy are. With a list of ten candies being Sour Patch Kids, Hershey’s Chocolate, Tootsie Rolls, Starbursts, Whoppers, Skittles, Laffy Taffy, M&Ms, Mike & Ikes, and the classic candy corn, I asked students to rate each of the candies on a scale of one to ten. A few days and 71 responses later I have found many interesting trends. Before analyzing the results, I thought there would be a very positive opinion of M&Ms, Hershey’s, Whoppers, and Tootsie Rolls due only to the fact that they were types of chocolate. I was partially correct in this prediction, as Hershey’s and M&Ms received the most “ten out of ten” votes at 15 and 19 respectively. Whoppers and Tootsie Rolls, however, received the opposite treatment with a majority of their votes being “one out of ten” with 19 and 15 votes respectively. Some of the candies had split opinions about them; those being Starbursts, Skittles, and candy corn. In regards to Starbursts, almost all 71 participants agreed that they were above average (above a five in rating), but nobody could agree how good they actually were. The ratings of seven, eight, nine, and ten were all almost identical. The same thing happened to Skittles, many of the above average ratings had an identical number of votes. Candy corn was by far the most divisive of all the candies despite being arguably the most commonly associated candy with the holiday. Nearly half of all 72 votes were either “one out of ten” or “ten out of ten,” with “one” coming out as the victor by only six votes. The only outlier in the entire survey was Mike & Ikes; after seeing that “one out of ten” was the most popular rating I thought that people disliked it but I was shocked to see that the second most popular rating was a tie between seven and eight. After questioning some of the survey participants about why they chose their answer I learned that many of the people who rated the candy a “one” hadn’t heard of the candy before the survey and assumed it was bad. Overall, through this survey I have come to the conclusion that the general student body of East Lake enjoys their chocolate and extremely sweet candy and despise candy that they think are bland.