Day in my life as a high school senior

This is where I go to school, East Lake High.

Kara Piehl, Staff Writer

Hi guys! I am currently a senior here at East Lake, and I have some people ask me “How do you get so much done in one day?” Well, I’m going to take you through a day in my life to show you how I get everything done; from school, to work, to sports.

I wake up at about 5:30 AM every morning. I proceed to wake up and stretch my body out. Since I am an athlete, it’s very important that my muscles are always stretched so cramps can be avoided at all times. After my stretch, I choose a quick workout to do. This can range anywhere from an abs workout to a leg workout. A quick workout helps me get energized in the morning. It also makes me feel very strong, which is my goal. I hop into the shower after my workout. I then proceed to pick out my outfit and get ready for the school day.

On my drive to school, I usually get a coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts, because I’m obsessed with coffee, but that’s another story for another time. I listen to music on my drive to school as well, but every day I usually listen to something different. Some days I feel country music, or some days it’s pop. Once I get to school, I go through my seven classes of the day. Since I have a majority of my credits, I get to have a lot of electives on my schedule. One of my favorite electives is Music Tech. I love how I get to make my own music and show my true colors. I also love forensic science, it’s what I want to major in college, and it’s fun to do hands on labs. Lesson to all the underclassmen: work hard earlier so you get to chill during your senior year.

After school I drive straight to the YMCA for swim practice. Practice is from 2pm to 4pm, and we do a variety of things during practice. Some days it’s harder than other days; and sometimes I leave with my legs feeling very numb. After swim practice, I stay at the YMCA and do some homework from 4pm to about 4:45pm. This time window is perfect because I can do my homework on my computer right at my job. I then get ready to clock in to work. I am a swim coach, and I coach three age groups. I am the assistant coach for the middle school group. My goal as a swim coach is for the kids to learn from their mistakes so they can improve themselves; but I also want the kids to have fun during practice. After the middle schoolers, I coach an intermediate group. This group ranges anywhere from 8 years old to 13 years old.

After work, it’s about 7pm. I then hop in my car and head back home. My mom usually makes us dinner, which definitely hits the spot after a long day. I also like to get my chores done when I get home. I try to get the dishes done, get my laundry folded, and take care of my dogs. I also like to watch my favorite TV show at the moment, 911. It’s a great show, I highly recommend it. I usually go to bed around 10pm, and then do this routine all over again.