Why I Quit Playing Competitive Soccer After Twelve Years

I loved playing soccer… so why did I quit?

Running down the sidelines to attempt to score a goal.

Larissa Snaguski, Staff Writer

When growing up, every kid is placed into some sort of sport or class in hopes they will pick one that they like. As a child, my parents had me and my siblings try pretty much every sport/activity you could think of… from soccer to karate to tennis to basketball to dance to softball and pretty much every other one you could think of. Years later, I ended up sticking with one sport, soccer. I played recreational soccer for most of my life and when we moved to Florida, I was nine and I started to play competitive soccer. I loved the sport, I loved running, I loved the weekend-long tournaments with my teams and pretty much everything about it. I played basically every positions; I started playing right wing (occasionally left), then my coach put me at forward (or striker) and then I ended up playing center midfielder in my last years playing. With all this being said… why did I quit?

I would consider myself a competitive person, so quitting? Not quite my style. To start off, I was never on a winning team (minus one or two years); instead of winning streaks, we would have losing streaks. If anyone has played on a sports team, they know just how bad it feels to give a ninety-minute game your all just to walk off the field with a 0-1 final score. It’s truly a terrible feeling. Besides this, growing up playing recreational soccer, it really didn’t matter if you won or lost as long as you had fun. I’m competitive soccer it’s different, it’s taken a little more to the heart especially as a teenage girl.

Playing with other teenage girls also made this harder because with aging comes drama. Drama was the worst on my teams with players who were either super full of themselves or girls who would bash their supposed “teammates” for mistakes they made when they should have been cheering them up instead of bringing them down. As teammates, this is what should be done. You make mistakes, learn, and improve. But, there was jealousy and there was politics within coaches and players always. This was mostly what caused my sister and I to quit, as they had ruined the game I loved so much and turned into a high school drama event. Eventually my sister and I took up modeling instead (very different from soccer but just as competitive) and between costs and lack of time in the week we had to make a decision. Our decisions were clear, deal with the constant drama of our soccer teams or take up something new. We chose plan b, it has been two years now that we haven’t played on a soccer team and I haven’t regretted the decision since.