Canada trip 2021

Possibly my last visit to Canada?

Niagara+Falls+on+a+rainy+Canadian+day.+

Niagara Falls on a rainy Canadian day.

Lauren McCloy, Staff Writer

Growing up, the fondest memories I have are the road trips from East Lake, Florida to Niagara, Canada. Every summer, my five siblings and I would venture out to on a 1,054 mile drive (a 19 hour trip) to go visit our Canadian family! Unfortunately, due to bad timing and Covid-19, we have not been able to go up for three years. And a lot has changed since freshman year for me. More than just my hair color.

When I tell people I’ve seen Niagara Falls more than twenty times, I mean it. And although it is beautiful every single time, not much has changed. Niagara Falls and Clifton Hill were the peak of the trips growing up. But now that we are all older and all the fun haunted houses and excursions are pretty much shut down- it wasn’t as hyped up as it used to be. But still, I love going into all the shops and being a tourist with the Canadian merch.

We were celebrating not one, not two, but three birthdays within the five days we were there. So there was no time to spare any day. We visited the famous butterfly conservatory (no matter how cold it is outside, wear Florida clothes in the conservatory- it’s hot in there). We went to Port Colborne. Unbelievably beautiful there, I never appreciated little stuff like that growing up. But I definitely did this time around.

If you ever get the chance, go to Canada! The money is colorful, milk is in bags, everything’s in French. It’s the place to go! It’s honestly beautiful there, and especially this time of year. I’m moving away for college, so I do not know when I’ll be back, but I’m beyond grateful for such an amazing trip and amazing Canadian family!