The story about me

A quick tale of a young adult with a disability

Ethan swimming with dolphins in the Florida Keys.

Ethan Caswell, Staff Writer

“A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” – Christopher Reeves, the actor who originally played Superman, who would later suffer a horse-riding accident that resulted in quadriplegia. Much like the unexpected events in Christopher Reeves life, I’ve had my share of my own.

On April 5, 2003, my mom delivered me ten weeks earlier than my expected delivery date. She had a medical condition that required an emergency c-section and it resulted in myself, Ethan Caswell, hitting the world about two and a half months early and having cerebral palsy (CP). After that, I went straight into a life of therapies and surgeries. In school, my life has been much like everyone else’s. I didn’t want to be away from everyone else in class, so I have always been educated in a normal classroom with both students who have disabilities and those who don’t. I have always been one of the brightest in my class (and family) because I’ve had to work so hard to do everything that comes easily to everyone else. I have had to rely on hobbies that give me pleasure and purpose like my love of sports to keep up my mental health and not have me get depressed about my CP.

Just like Christopher Reeves, I am an example of how life can turn upside down and be unexpected. I’ve had to learn about something that gets me through when times get tough. That is called resiliency. No matter how many times a person gets knocked down, they just have to get back up and keep fighting. I think this is why I like sports so much, because a successful sports team would have to be resilient in order to succeed and overcome their opponents and injuries, no matter if its basketball, baseball, football, etc. You have to be able to handle things in good times and bad in order to reach the end goal. In my case, the end goal is living a good life!