30 Plays in 60 Minutes in 300 Words*

Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind returns to East Lake (*or more)

The logo on the performer’s shirts in the 2020 show (which if I may digress, I’m still upset they misspelt my name on the back of).

Ella Whalen, Staff Writer

With the risk of Covid being ever so slightly dampened, the improv club here at East Lake has resumed its annual production of Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind (or Too Much Light for short) as well as its more traditional improv comedy show.

Too Much Light is a mostly-comedy show billed as being 30 scenes performed in 60 minutes (usually delivering on its promise).  Each of its scenes is performed in a random order as chosen by the audience, ranging in subject matter from simply rolling an orange across the stage to playing tag in the audience with Super Soakers to a serious monologue about being able to control the weather to just repeating the previous scene entirely (titled Dejá Vu for anyone who wants to plan the worst time to call it—like last time when the repeated scene involved the entire ensemble). After the show, the improv club holds an intermission of some silent slow-motion combat before beginning the (untitled) improv show, which is mainly a public playing of its usual improv comedy games.

Both shows’ auditions are open to all students, though each of them has a different process. For the improv show, all one needs to do is show up at the improv club in the theatre lobby on Fridays from 2-4 PM (whose doors are also open to all), as well as complete the ‘important papers’ from eastlakedrama.com to be allowed to stay in the theatre after school. Too Much Light, on the other hand, is holding regular auditions during lunch in the theatre on the first week of February. Scripts for scenes can be found online or through Mrs. Florio, and memorizing your script before the audition isn’t required. One can be in both shows or just one—and yes, you’re allowed to join the audience for the show you aren’t in. The date of the show has yet to be announced, but is likely to be a Friday in the second or third week of March.