Year of the pig, incorrect, year of the Chapstick

If you don’t wear it you might be a lizard

This+is+an+actual+before+and+after+photo+of+celebrity+Paris+Hilton+after+she+publicly+admitted+to+not+wearing+Chapstick.+Via+Nickelodeon+

This is an actual before and after photo of celebrity Paris Hilton after she publicly admitted to not wearing Chapstick. Via Nickelodeon

Wyatt Harris, Staff Writer

Up until the start of this school year, I was never a big Chapstick or any sort of lip balm kind of guy. I figured, if my lips weren’t especially chapped, I didn’t need to go out of my way to protect them and I never particularly liked the feeling of the oily substance on my lips. However, during a unforeseen accident earlier this school year I found myself with an annoying recurring cut in my upper lip that could be cured only via the use of good old lip balm.

After being forced to regularly apply a Chapstick brand French vanilla flavored lip balm, I found myself enamored with the product. My lips became not only noticeably softer, but it tasted pretty good and the feeling was actually not as bad as I anticipated. I am currently rocking with a Lip Shit brand lip care product that is coconut basil flavored. Despite the somewhat goofy product title, the product itself is a God send and is one of my most recommended products so far of 2019.

I wasn’t sure how many people were aware of or used lip balm regularly, so I took to the streets to spread the good word of the Chapstick lifestyle. Out of respect for the privacy of those interviewed, the following names are fake. An East Lake senior, Fregely went as far as to say, “Lip balm is a scam. It gets you addicted whilst drying out your lips.” While of course this is propaganda, it was sad to see such a young person brainwashed by big dermatology influencers swaying the innocent minds of the youth. This senior is convinced that although it feels good momentarily, it ultimately dries one’s lips, which is simply complete and utter nonsense. Another senior, Alejandra, stated, “Lip balm is the only thing I bring to school. On days where I forget my lip balm I simply go home. I apply lip balm at least 16 times a class period.” I was happy to see this student embracing the soft lip lifestyle, and I hope she too helps to spread the good word of positive lip hygiene.

While personal care is very important, and as humans have progressed, we have learned to focus on important aspects of the human such as digestive health, skin health, and hearth health; however, it seems a significant population has failed to consider lip health. In 2019, I think as a population we can all be a little bit more responsible about our lip softness and remember to apply the lip balm generously.

• Year of the pig, incorrect, year of the Chapstick