ELHS volleyball

Jimmy Skaaland, Staff Writer

On September 2nd East Lake’s girls volleyball team played their first regular season game against Palm Harbor University High.  At one point they were ahead two games to one but ended up losing the match three games to two.  Even though they lost, it was an extremely exciting game for all in attendance.  They were cheered on by many Blue Crue members, decked out for the “White Out.”  This tough loss was the first of two crushing blows for the team.

On Wednesday, September 8th, just one day after losing their head coach, Terry Small, East Lake was ready for their next opponent, Countryside.  Junior Julia Brunner said, “Before the game I felt nervous but also excited to be able to prove that nothing can stop us.” East Lake swept Countryside in a quick three match game showing all the hype wasn’t for nothing.  After the game senior Lauran Eschenroeder said, “Tonight’s win showed us how nothing can stop us from playing our game and being together as a team!  Tonight’s game definitely gives us positive momentum going into tomorrow night’s game.   We’re all pumped to play in our first district match that counts.”

Then on Thursday night East Lake faced off against Clearwater; having lost the first two games of the match and having only four loyal Blue Crue members there to support them, things weren’t looking good for the Eagles.  After an encouraging speech from Coach Mike Morris, the Eagles then came back to win three consecutive games in order to win the match.  Junior Brianna Mccomeskey said, “I’m so excited for the rest of our season because I know we can beat any team out there as long as we come together like we did in the end tonight. I couldn’t be more proud of all the girls, no matter what role they play they all were awesome.  Also we’re going to win the title for Terry!” These are big words, but they come from one of the Eagle’s biggest players.  Their next match is at home against Palm Harbor University High School on Wednesday September 15th so come out and support them as they look to get revenge for their previous loss.

Update, Saturday, September 11: At the time this story was originally posted, Coach Terry Small had temporarily resigned as coach due to a Florida High School Athletic Association investigation into the ELHS volleyball program.  However, later on Friday, September 10, Small was reinstated as coach.