The Road to Omaha: College Baseball Gets Going

Parker Fox, Staff Writer

Not the most popular of sports, college baseball attracts an exclusive crowd. Lacking the TV coverage that other sports receive, college baseball fights an uphill battle to gain attention. But for those of us who watch it at all, we love it. College baseball is professional baseball, save the steroids, multimillion-dollar contracts, and narcissism of the super stars. Games are high scoring and can turn at any moment. Blowouts can reach upwards of twenty runs, and at the same time everyone in the stands knows the game can turn its course at any given moment. Florida schools Miami, FSU, and UF have always been known to have some of the best teams in the country. While FSU and UF have a tradition of making it to Omaha, Miami is the only team to actually win the National Championship, winning it four times.
Sophomore Drake Rowland says, “I’m a Gator fan and to tell you the truth I like watching us play baseball as much as football. Especially when regionals and the College World Series come along. The College World Series is my favorite sporting event of all time.”
FSU currently stands in at number 5, while Miami has fallen to unranked status after a slow start to the season as Coach Jim Morris recovers from surgery. Other top schools include Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, Clemson, South Carolina, LSU, Cal State Fullerton, TCU, and Virginia to round out the top ten.
Each year, every Division I team in America strives to become one of the eight to make the trip to Omaha, Nebraska to compete in the College World Series. Parity is not uncommon. For example Fresno State won the College World Series in 2008 after losing twelve of their first twenty games and barely earning a tournament berth in the field of 64.
“Just like with college football, you don’t know whose going to win or when an upset will occur. The Number 1 team in the country can lose to a team no one has heard of on any given day,” says sophomore Mark Salem.
Although college baseball attracts a limited audience, those who do watch it love it for the love of both baseball and collegiate sports.