Movies to get you ready for Halloween

Whether you love scary movies or refuse to watch them, one of these movies will be sure to get you into the spooky spirit.

Hocus Pocus is a great choice for those who scare easily.

Skyler DiLoreto, Staff Writer

Each year to get myself into the Halloween spirit I do many things, one of the most important being watching Halloween movies. This list contains the movies I find myself watching every October that get me the most excited for Halloween.

1. Halloween(1978), From director John Carpenter, this movie follows the antagonist Micheal Myers on Halloween after he has escaped from the mental institution that has housed him since he killed his brother in 1963, and as he looks for more victims. With a villain that has forever become a part of iconic cinema history, Halloween provides a thrilling a creepy story that starts immediately from the unique opening scene showing the viewer a killing from Myers’ own perspective. It helped to popularize the “slasher” genre of horror and shows all of the best aspects of the genre before they became common and stereotypical tropes.
  2. Hocus Pocus (1993) Directed by Kenny Ortega, this movie follows teenager Max Dennison after he has moved to Salem, Massachusetts. On Halloween night he accidentally frees the Sanderson sisters, three witches looking for eternal life, from their curse. This movie is fun and can be watched with the entire family, with a tone that is goofy enough to be watched by children but exciting enough to hold the attention of any adult.
  3. Scream (1996) From director Wes Craven this film offers criticisms of the horror movie genre which, at the time, had been oversaturated by satisfactory and stereotypical slasher films that have degraded in quality. Through satire Craven creates a movie that is both funny and scary and provides a fresh take on horror. The story follows suburban high school students being followed by a ghost faced killer. This movie has become a classic and while the newer versions have become what they once insulted, the original is iconic and clever from its jokes, to its killer, to its opening scene of Drew Barrymore on the phone with the killer.
  4. A Nightmare before Christmas (1993) Directed by Henry Selick, this film shows interesting and unique characters through claymation. The story follows Jack Skellington, the “pumpkin king” of Halloweentown, as he becomes bored with everyday life until he discovers Christmastown, which he tries to bring under his own control by kidnapping Santa Claus. This movie manages to be both heartwarming and spooky and shows a story with a unique aesthetic that appeals to all ages.